Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spark Note #5: Finish


Image and Advice stolen from @ChuckWendig

I don't personally have a lot to add to the advice from the image above. I found it via a Google+ post by Brent Weeks who linked to this blog post by Chuck Wendig. Wendig's post is somewhat long-ish, but full of what should be common sense. If you can scan the headlines and not want to read it all, by all means, don't. But I ask: use that time to write something instead.

I like the lines from image partly because it feels like poetry - especially the last lines form William Ernest Henley's Invictus, which I think can apply to a writing career almost as much as to life in general.


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.