Thursday, January 19, 2012

Flicker of Inspiration Prompt #34: S-s-shuffle!

I want to do something slightly different... again. That's me, always with the "different". Why not have a normal prompt for a change? Eh? Naw, nobody wants that.

So I was seeking inspiration and as I often do, I turned to iTunes and put it on shuffle. And after skipping ahead a couple times, I decided, "Hey, whatever the next song title is, that should be the prompt!"

So your theme for this week is:
The Nutcracker, Op. 71a: XVC. Pas de deux - Variation II: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy


... Well, that didn't work! Try the next one.....
Green Bird


Which is actually a great little piece of music, though I can't fault you if the title doesn't inspire any fiction.

So what did I learn tonight? Shuffled music titles are not automatically appropriate prompt themes for writing. Also, when you have music on shuffle, you can get wild shifts in theme and mood.

So your actual prompt for the week is this: whatever you write, hit us with a major shift in tone, theme, or mood halfway through. Maybe it's a big twist, or a sudden event, or a shocking confession, or a secret uncovered - whatever it is, the train you thought you were on is no longer on the tracks. I'm giving you a full 1000 words to play with here; you don't need to use all of them, but it should be enough to establish one state, then shifting into the other and following it through. Good luck and good night!