Friday, July 15, 2011

Discussion: A Poet and Didn't Know It

So I wrote a poem. Yeah, I'm not much of a poet, but I do write poetry from time to time...just to stretch those muscles a little. It's not typically a pretty thing, but I feel it's necessary, a challenge to help me become a better writer.

Kelli, my lovely cohost, said something wise about poetry to me once. It's stuck with me. I had just shared a poem for the first time at Chicken Noodle Gravy. I was nervous about how people would respond. I cannot stress to you enough that I. Am. Not. A. Poet. I voiced a concern to Kelli that a lot of people hate poetry just on principle to which she responded: "they resist what scares them." Kelli, O Wise Woman of the Well-Written Word, you are so right. Poetry is scary and misunderstood. We sometimes avoid reading or writing it, because it's just too hard.

For this week's discussion, share your relationship with poetry. Are you a poet? Do you enjoy reading poetry? Or do you hate it with a burning passion?

No comments: